[Koha] Koha license upgrade voting method

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Wed Feb 2 22:31:39 NZDT 2011

Reply inline:

On Tue, January 18, 2011 05:33, Clay Shentrup wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 10:14, Thomas Dukleth <kohalist at agogme.com> wrote:

[...]

> The deficiency in the
>> FairVote criticism of range voting to which I linked was that the
>> scenario
>> they give uses a range which is unduly high relative to the number of
>> voters.
>>
>> Their scenario has 100 voters casting ballots with a range of 0 to 99.
>>

> I don't know what the number of voters has to do with the range of scores.
> In any case, I think a 0-9 scale should be plenty.

The larger the range of permitted scores relative to the number of voters
the greater the possibility, however unrealistic, that a few strategic
voters using the highest permitted scores might outvote a much larger
number of voters mistakenly using the weakest scores.  The scenario
described by FairVote would not have worked with 100 voters and a
permitted range of only 0 to 9.  They needed the large range to make their
absurdly contrived scenario work.

>> The relatively large range allows merely two voters using a reasonable
>> voting strategy of casting their greatest preference strongly at the
>> maximum range of 99 to outvote all other voters expressing their
>> greatest
>> preference weakly near the minimum of the range at 1.
>>

> Well, yes. That analogy is pretty absurd in its sheer implausibility.
> However, the range they use is precisely what is advocated by some people.
> (I advocate 0-9, as I said.)
> http://scorevoting.net/Why99.html
>
> A reasonably low range relative to the number of voters along with voters
>> who use some half intelligent sense of voting strategy avoids the
>> unreasonable case above.

[...]

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme