[Koha] Experience with msyql setup for utf-8

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Fri Dec 23 00:47:53 NZDT 2011

Hi to all,

I'm checking the setup of a new Koha site, and I'm sure that we will
deeply use UTF-8.

In /etc/mysql/my.conf, section [mysqld] I have insert:
init-connect = 'SET NAMES utf8'
character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_general_ci
character_set_client=utf8

In fact is what is written here:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Encoding_and_Character_Sets_in_Koha

Well, if I do a check on mysql with root user I see:
mysql> show variables where variable_name LIKE "character_set%" OR
variable_name LIKE "collation%";
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                      |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client     | latin1                     |
| character_set_connection | latin1                     |
| character_set_database   | utf8                       |
| character_set_filesystem | binary                     |
| character_set_results    | latin1                     |
| character_set_server     | utf8                       |
| character_set_system     | utf8                       |
| character_sets_dir       | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
| collation_connection     | latin1_swedish_ci          |
| collation_database       | utf8_general_ci            |
| collation_server         | utf8_general_ci            |

I use msyql 5.1 on Debian

Do you think is a coerent situation ?

Which experience do you have with mysql utf-8 setup ?

Bye
Zeno Tajoli

--
Dott. Zeno Tajoli