[Koha] April 13th, 2005 entry

DeGroff, Amy adegroff at liblime.com
Fri Aug 26 09:08:22 NZST 2011

Hi everyone:

As a former IT director for a library system that was planning to
implement Koha, but subsequently chose an alternate path, I would
recommend you approach this topic with delicacy,   What is said
publicly and what truly happened is not always the same story. I would
not publicly discuss all aspects of what occurred with me and my
former site, and the same is true for any library in this situation.
 It may be that discussing issues from two years ago  is not
productive for anyone - especially the hard working librarians in New
Jersey about whom you'd be speaking.

East Brunswick was an early PTFS customer and contributed ideas and
energy to Koha - ideas which we proudly made available to all -- via
our public git hub.  Some features have been adopted by other Koha
users -- some features have not.

East Brunswick did indeed find Koha 3.x slow in areas related to
circulation - we worked to address their concerns. They were a Horizon
site and the speed of that thick client application was for them  too
tantalizing and familiar to give up; a web application - like Koha -
is in some cases - slower than a thick client - like Horizon.

Despite the departure of a valued customer, we have continued to make
significant improvements in response time, both with sponsored
development from customers and sponsored development by PTFS.

We will soon be publishing a new release of LibLime Koha in download
format as well as a unified git repository.  This release includes the
latest performance improvements we have made to the application
including the use of the Plack environment which simulates a
persistent run time environment for PERL.  In that release,
circulation transactions are now  1/3 of a second.

Lori - what else can I supply to help you set the record straight?