[Koha] Re: Koha shows error on adding an item

Msgr. Marion J. Makarewicz marmak3261 at att.net
Thu Aug 18 02:43:47 NZST 2011

Swaprava,

I looked through my old logs to see what I did regarding that error when I
did my first install, but I had deleted them. If I can recall correctly, it
had to do with not getting required fields filled in when I imported my data
from the previous ILS. It took me a while to figure it out but it had to do
with making sure that the item subfield itype had BK in it. Also I didn't
have both the homebranch and holding branch filled in for all the records.
Another problem on some records was series information in the biblioitems
were in two different fields.

Double check your MARC structure and make sure that all the required fields
have the necessary data in them. Remember that as you set up your framework,
you also have to ensure that all the fields are visible in the proper view
in the biblio and item editing tabs.

Is the error on all records?

Search on this thread to get some more info:  Problems after upgrade to
3.4.3

What version are you running?

Marion

>Hello all,

>We recently installed Koha for our small library, and we don't have any
exposure to library sciences, we're just amateurs. We could install Koha
properly. But there is one error which is showing up at the end of adding
the item. I couldn't attach the csv file of our customized MARC structure
for the 40KB limit of mails.

>screenshot of the error: Software error:

>Can't call method "subfield" on an undefined value at
/usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Biblio.pm line 2881.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster (
<http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4703467
&i=0> [hidden email]), giving this error message and the time and date of
the error.

>Even if we use the default MARC structure, we still get the error.
Interestingly, the item gets added to the record. However, while checking
out the item against a patron, after giving the Barcode and pressing ok, we
hit the same error >page again. Even while returning the book once we click
on return the book, the same error comes. We saw some community pages where
people encountered this kind of a problem. We don't have any clue to fix
this. Any inputs? >Thanks in advance.