[Koha] Migration from 2.2.5 to 3.4

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Fri Aug 12 19:09:51 NZST 2011

On 12/08/11 15:35, Peter Thompson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hi, I'm a complete newcomer to the world of  Koha. We have an
> installation of Koha 2.2.5 at a remote site, and we wish to migrate
> the data to a new server running 3.4.
>
> Simply importing the MySQL dump file doesn't seem to do the trick -- I
> get the borrowers but not the bibs etc. I've searched the archives,
> but most information about in-situ upgrades. Anyone point me in the
> right direction doco-wise?

Hi Peter,
There are significant differences in data base structure between Koha
2.x and Koha 3.x.  If you are attempting to upgrade you should probably
go to Koha 3.0, then upgrade again to 3.4.  There are upgrade
instructions in the documentation for 3.0 at
http://koha-community.org/download-koha/ .

The alternative is to export your data from Koha 2.2.5 and use it to
populate a fresh install of Koha 3.4.  The main issue will be organising
the 952 tag of the marc records.  You can see what is required at
Administration/Koha to Marc Mapping (Items).  When you've imported your
bibs, you have to start the Zebra indexing engine (which is perhaps why
you are seeing nothing at present).

You can also obtain the data for members,  current loans and reading
history from your existing data base and import those.  Many may
disagree with me, but that is my preferred route.Its arguable which is
quicker, but imho the result will be cleaner.

Hope that helps,
Bob Birchall
CALYX