[Koha] Indexing (or sorting) mystery

Amy Schuler schulera at caryinstitute.org
Sat Sep 25 06:59:08 NZST 2010

Hello,

We are testing Koha v. 3.01.00.145 before going live, when someone pointed out to me that search results are oddly sorted at best.  In the searching sys preferences, the database is set to search by relevance (A-Z) in both the OPAC and staff interface.  We are using Zebra and it is set to search by relevance.

Here are some odd examples of so-called relevance ranking:  When I perform a generic library catalog search (not selecting by field) for the known title phrase "Cool It", the results are an odd mix of items.  First is "Atlas of breeding birds in New York State", which shares nothing in common with the book "Cool It".  Nothing in the title, subtitle, subjects, etc. of "Atlas" resembles anything like the phrase, "Cool It".  Now, when I perform a search by title for "Cool It" I receive two hits - the first is for a book about microbe-vector interactions (again, no reason for match) and the second hit is for the correct book.  It is bad enough that the general search is so far off, but for the fielded search it seems like entering the exact title should return that title as the first hit, rather than further down the list?

I have similar examples of this sort of thing.  I wonder how to (a) fine tune the general search (keyword mapping, other ideas?) and/or (b) at least change the default search field to TITLE, if I cannot increase precision of the general search.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Amy Schuler
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies