[Koha] Message from PTFS/LibLime

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sun Sep 19 00:25:24 NZST 2010

ed c wrote:
> --- On Fri, 9/17/10, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> <...>
> > At the time I wrote my last email, I wasn't aware of PTFS's
> > reaction because it wasn't in the same thread.  Please try not to
> > break thread.  (ed c - you're one of those breaking up the
> > thread.)
>
> I'm sorry if my mail client is not up to your high standards.

Please don't get sarcastic.  It's not a high standard.  The
metadata headers for threading have been around for 35 years,
so it's a pretty basic error if a mail client can't use them.

But the latest message appeared in-thread, so I don't really
understand why the thread was broken previously.  Oh well, I
was just explaining why I hadn't seen PTFS's reaction in time.

[...]
> > Indeed, charity law and non-profit law are not the same, so
> > why ask me
> > about US non-profit law when I criticised US charity
> > law?  Basically
> > the problem there is it doesn't often exist.
>
> Because you did so while referring to a 501(c)3, which is organized under non-profit law.

I feel the central Koha project body should be a charity.  Is
that even possible in the US?

> >   "One of the weaknesses in U.S. payment systems is
> > how easy it is to
> >   create bogus checks and deposit them at a bank,"
> > said Michael Herd,
> >   a spokesman for NACHA/The Electronics Payments
> > Association, which
> >   sets rules for electronic bank transfers. --
> >   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7914159/
[...]
> And this is why there are no non-profit organizations based in the US, I guess?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. :-) Having to watch your bank
account closely and be cautious about who sees your cheques and
transfer details is another overhead cost which I feel means the Koha
community should seriously consider being based outside the US, in
some country with a better banking system.

Hope that explains,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha