[Koha] question about database fields

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Fri Sep 10 19:14:50 NZST 2010

  Dear Linda,

Il 09/09/2010 21:03, Linda Culberson ha scritto:
> In the wiki at
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Holdings_data_fields_%289xx%29 it says:
> "The connection between the marc field and the sql tables 'items' is
> done with the frameworks. You can't change the sql table 'items' but YOU
> can change the marc field and subfields."
> However, we have found that the size for itemcallnumber is too small for
> some of our call numbers.  Does this mean that we cannot increase the
> size of the field?

I think you are working on 3.0.6 where items.itemcallnumber is a
varchar(30).
You can change the size of the field but you need to use SQL.
You can't use the web interface (as Chris says)
On 3.2 the size is varchar(255).
I suggest you to select a size betwenn 30 and 255.
So, when you will update to 3.2, the script updatedatabase.pl will
expand your field and not truncate.

I add a note to explain this on wiki.

Bye
Zeno Tajoli