[Koha] Foundation conversation

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Sat Oct 16 10:29:42 NZDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, Nicole Engard wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>
> David,
>
>> nothing but opinions on the mailing list. I do realize that for some
>> people that means that my opinions are worthless and I should be ignored.
>> I hope that this is not the type of project that takes that attitude.
>
> All opinions matter and add to the discussion.

thank you.

>> Right now I would not reccomend anyone deploy Koha until some of this
>> stuff gets settled (being decided in any direction would be better than
>> the current limbo), and then depending on what the decisions are, how much
>> bad blood is formed in the fighting, etc I will then decide if the result
>> is something I'm willing to spend my time on.
>
> Koha is "settled", the software is being used worldwide successfully.
> Not recommending it because of internal discussions of governance
> seems a bit odd to me.  I pick my software based on whether it does
> what I need it to do and whether there is support (now and in the
> future).

from the outside it sure doesn't look 'settled', the issues of governance
(and more precisely, arguments over such issues) directly involve the
probability of the product being viable in the future.

there are other projects that I have selected alternatives to based on my
opinion on the project management and how likely they are to fragment, get
tied up in political infighting instead of development, or have their
first question to anyone making a suggestion/change request being "if you
haven't contributed code, you don't matter" (or attitudes too far in that
direction). Right now Koha is appearing unsettled enough that I'm leery of
it, but not so crazy that I silently walk away.

David Lang