[Koha] Fwd: LibLime ideas on a Koha Software Foundation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Oct 15 13:14:55 NZDT 2010

david at lang.hm wrote:
> what software in Ubuntu are you not allowed to modify?

Please ask on an FSF or FSFE list.  It's off-topic here.

> if you are looking for a opensource product with a not-for-profit corp and
> a for-profit corp involved, mozilla is a huge example (although I assume
> you will claim that firefox is not free software due to the fact that you
> can't change it and keep the branding the same)

I think Mozilla is different to the 40%-LibLime KSF in three ways:

1. Mozilla Corporation has no special rights to seats on the Mozilla
Foundation board, as far as I read in its bylaws;

2. as you correctly guess, firefox is not free software because of the
copyright licence of some files, which is why there's icecat & co;

3. Mozilla Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mozilla
Foundation - if PTFS is willing to be a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Koha Software Foundation, then definitely let's get talking!  How
about it, PTFS?  ;-)

Hope that explains,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha