[Koha] Fwd: LibLime ideas on a Koha Software Foundation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Oct 15 12:47:20 NZDT 2010

david at lang.hm wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, MJ Ray wrote:
> > So does this also suggest that a dependent company project might
> > not remain entirely FOSS, too?
>
> it depends how you define FOSS, I don't know why you think that Ubuntu
> doesn't qualify, but there are MANY other examples of opensource projects
> run by companies, other people mentioned MySQL, but there is also
> ghostscript, cups, LLVM, OpenOffice.org that I can think of off the top of
> my head. Apple sponsers quite a few different projects.

I define FOSS as Free and Open Source Software, as usual.
See http://fsfe.org/about/basics/freesoftware.en.html

Ubuntu doesn't qualify because of software one couldn't modify.

The examples that I recognise on that list don't have their own
not-for-profit host corporations, but they are brilliant!  MySQL I
covered in another email, as it ends up with founders forking into a
Swiss not-for-profit.  ghostscript has definitely moved around between
FOSS (GPL) and non-FOSS (AFPL) versions over time.  OpenOffice.org is
currently having a forking good time: let's wait and see how it ends.

If anyone posts more, I'm not going to continue pointing out that
these aren't projects with their own not-for-profit host corporations.

Hope that helps,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha