[Koha] Fwd: LibLime ideas on a Koha Software Foundation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Oct 15 05:30:48 NZDT 2010

DeGroff, Amy wrote:
> I've posted a brief outline or summation of LibLime's ideas about a Koha
> Software Foundation on the wiki --   we seek your comments --
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Forming_a_Koha_Foundation#United_States
>
> Please let me know if there is a more logical place to place these on the
> wiki - under Forming a Foundation / Locations for an Independent Koha
> Organisation/ United States seemed to fit the flow in place but I am happy
> to cross post or move if it will help.

A foundation 40%-controlled by Liblime doesn't seem independent to me,
so I feel it should be moved, but I can't think of how to name where
it should go.  Does a vendor tie seem in keeping with a FOSS project
host corporation to anyone?

I've added a comment to re-explain the difference between a foundation
and an association.

I'll ignore the "intellectual assets" as that's against community policy.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#IntellectualProperty

Agreeing to any permanent representation on the board would open a can
of worms because I expect all 30 or so current vendors would like
something similar and several were giving to this project community
before LibLime even launched.  It's hard to measure how much, because
I'm sure we've seen patches committed under the wrong author's byline.
It would be a bit odd to give permanent credit for "standing" only to
one company that bought the 2005-9 LibLime business, wouldn't it?

So I feel like PTFS's basic preconditions are obviously unworkable and
this means we're at a more obvious and clear deadlock.  Can anyone
explain what I've missed and why I'm wrong?

Regards,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha