[Koha] Cataloging Archives

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Oct 12 22:46:40 NZDT 2010

I would like to add support for the idea that the notes should be
keyword searchable.
Perhaps this could be part of the advanced search options, as some
collections might find it creates too many false positives as a
general keyword search.
Ideally, we should have some control over which fields  may appear in
the advanced search option.
I've got ownership history notes (561) that are necessary, because
there's no place to put this information in the item level (where, at
least for published material,  it belongs).  Currently, it is only for
display purposes, because we can't search on it.  But it would be very
useful if we could.
We also have formatted contents notes (505) and will be making use of
some of the other less common notes as we add in our sound recordings.
 (511, 518, 522, for example).

Elaine

2010/10/11 Jared Camins-Esakov <jcamins at cpbibliography.com>:
> Nicole,
> The American Numismatis Society is using Koha for collection-level MARC
> records. See, for
> example: http://donum.numismatics.org/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=175790
> We have found displaying archival records slightly problematic because
> archival records really need their display constants, and the
> undifferentiated view under "Title Notes" is rather hard to understand. The
> important 5xx fields could be added to the main display for the labels, if
> someone wanted to take the time to do that. The other problem we have with
> archival records is that most of the notes aren't even keyword searchable.
> That could be fixed easily enough too, however.
> Regards,
> Jared
>
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is anyone on list using Koha to catalog archive collections?  Someone
>> asked me for examples of libraries using Koha for this purpose and I
>> was just wondering if any of you happened to be doing this and if so
>> how have you found it to work?
>>
>> Thanks a bunch,
>> Nicole C. Engard

> Jared Camins-Esakov
> Freelance bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
> (phone) +1 (917) 727-3445
> (e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
> (web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/

Elaine Bradtke