[Koha] Koha Cataloging Archives

Linda Culberson lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Oct 12 07:20:50 NZDT 2010

  There are three standards central to archival description: DACS
(Describing Archives: A Content Standard), MARC, and Encoded Archival
Description (EAD). Koha can handle 2 out of three, plus allow us to
track in-house use of our materials and link to digitized copies of the
originals where they exist.   So, I like Koha.

  The real problem we have with Koha is the lack of analytic record
support  ( http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Analytic_Record_support )
because many of our collections have item-level descriptions which are
handled as analytics.  We also have a number of journals which have
analytic records for specific articles in certain issues and we need to
be able to tie the analytic record to the particular issue of the
serial's record.

Another problem is that Koha seems to only allow for the borrower to
make only one hold request per title - a real problem with serials (and
collections with linked item level analytical records)  - because a
person may really want to see the Spring and Fall issues of 1994 and the
Summer issue of 1995 of a serial.  Hopefully, I'm wrong about this being
a problem and somebody can tell me how to do this?

On a personal note, I  would be very interested in sharing ideas with
other archives or libraries with archival materials about how to best
use Koha for archival collections.

Thanks for asking, Nicole!
Linda

Linda Culberson			lculber at mdah.state.ms.us