[Koha] SQL field lengths

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Nov 30 09:31:13 NZDT 2010

> Problem: the CCODE in the Koha SQL database is limited to 10 characters
> only.  We have (transferring our data from spreadsheets) dozens of
> categories that exceed this limit e.g. "marine biology", "yacht cruising", etc.

When dealing with authorized values, you have two parts: the
authorized value itself (limited to 10 characters) and the
description, which isn't so limited. "Marine biology" sounds to me
like the description. For example, from our catalog:

AVNF | Videocassette, non-fiction
BIO | Biography
CDM | Music CD
CDR | CD-ROM software

So the good news is you'll be able to retain your descriptive category
information. The bad news is you'll still have to update your
spreadsheets to replace phrases like "marine biology" with a
corresponding less-than-10-letter code.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer