[Koha] Proposal to form Koha Technical Committee (and Time Based Releases)

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Mon Nov 22 20:11:01 NZDT 2010

Reply inline:

On Sat, November 20, 2010 21:33, Chris Cormack wrote:
> * Lori Bowen Ayre (lori.ayre at galecia.com) wrote:
>>    I want to pull out these paragraphs from David Lang's email because I
>>    think it is an important point about the benefits of sticking to
>>    time-based releases.  I think if we had stuck to this principle, we
>>    wouldn't be having the troubles we are having (as a community) with
>> some
>>    of our biggest contributors needing to support versions of Koha that
>> are
>>    different from the latest official version.
>
> Wow.
>
> The single biggest contributor to Koha over time, in terms of a simple
> lines of code metric, Biblibre, suggested we try a time based release
> for 3.4. The community agreed.
>
> Biblibre have, and I have faith always
> will, contribute all their code upstream. In fact they spent a serious
> amount of time after the hackfest working with others to get their
> patches in a state that they could go through QA.
>
> I am not sure who these other big
> contributors that you speak of are? Galen, Joe Atzberger, Chris
> Nighswonger, Owen Leonard, MJ, me?.
>
> I actually find it quite reprehensible to suggest that the forks
> are the fault of previous release managers. Everyone with eyes and ears
> knows the real reason.

Chris Cormack's reading of David Lang's message as explaining some
uncooperative behaviour may be a possible reading but I have some doubt
that it was the intended meaning.  At least in this context, I think that
David should be given the benefit of the doubt unless David would explain
otherwise.

> Lets just try a time based release and see how it works for us, like the
> community decided.
>
> Chris

[...]

Thomas Dukleth