[Koha] Proposal to form Koha Technical Committee (and Time Based Releases)

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Nov 21 10:33:35 NZDT 2010

* Lori Bowen Ayre (lori.ayre at galecia.com) wrote:
>    I want to pull out these paragraphs from David Lang's email because I
>    think it is an important point about the benefits of sticking to
>    time-based releases.  I think if we had stuck to this principle, we
>    wouldn't be having the troubles we are having (as a community) with some
>    of our biggest contributors needing to support versions of Koha that are
>    different from the latest official version.

Wow.

The single biggest contributor to Koha over time, in terms of a simple
lines of code metric, Biblibre, suggested we try a time based release
for 3.4. The community agreed.

Biblibre have, and I have faith always
will, contribute all their code upstream. In fact they spent a serious
amount of time after the hackfest working with others to get their
patches in a state that they could go through QA.

I am not sure who these other big
contributors that you speak of are? Galen, Joe Atzberger, Chris
Nighswonger, Owen Leonard, MJ, me?.

I actually find it quite reprehensible to suggest that the forks
are the fault of previous release managers. Everyone with eyes and ears
knows the real reason.

Lets just try a time based release and see how it works for us, like the
community decided.

Chris