[Koha] Koha relevance ranking

gsl gsl at rhcl.org
Thu Nov 18 08:58:26 NZDT 2010

We too have some issues.

Here is our outward facing card catalog:

http://opac.rhcl.org

If you search for "harpy time", not remembering the correct name is "harpy thyme", you get a number of hits on "time", but also clearly lots of bad returns for things unrelated to harpy or time or thyme. The librarians tell me that "Harpy Thyme" does show up, but buried somewhere in one of the back pages. It clearly should hit "harpy" well before all the unrelated returns--which shouldn't show at all.

In the staff interface, when searching for patron names, if you type in a last name "smith" not knowing, perhaps, how the first name is spelled, you might get 10 pages of smiths and you have to go through each page because it will start with "smith, a..." ("a" for first name") and go down the page alphabetically to "smith, z...", but then start over on the 2nd page with another "smith, a..." name. I suspect it pulls last name "smith", but then doesn't default to doing a secondary sort on the first name--probably some other field. In other words, "smith, azul" might not be the very last "smith, a..." entry before hitting "smith, b...". Azul Smith could be page 2 or 3 or whatever. Absher Smith could likewise be after Azul Smith or Zeke Smith.

--
Greg Lawson
Rolling Hills Consolidated Library