[Koha] RFC Discussion

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Thu Nov 11 14:41:16 NZDT 2010

Hi David

On 11 November 2010 14:29,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Nicole Engard wrote:
>
>> I have started discussing RFCs - every page on the wiki has a
>> discussion tab to the right of the 'page' tab at the top.
>>
>> I have finished the 'A's in 3.4 RFCs and will do them all eventually.
>>
>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Talk:Add_support_for_NORMARC
>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Talk:Advanced_cataloging_search_RFC
>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Talk:AllowOnShelfHolds
>> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Talk:Analytic_Record_support
>
> how is someone supposed to find these from the wiki main page?

You find them from the rfc page, which is linked from the main
koha-community site.

Or if you wanted you could add some more links to them from the main
page. It is a wiki after all. Its made for editing.

>> I'm off to edit some more now.
>>
>> I'm formatting pages as follows:
>>

>> ==Votes==
>>
>> Under votes you add your +1 or -1 and your signature (there is a
>> signature button on the top of each editing area)
>
> what is the purpose of voting?

All the votes mean is that someone thinks its a good idea, this was
asked for at the meeting today. There was an overwhelming desire to
have more people commenting on RFC and expressing their opinion, the
vote is a quick way of someone saying I think this is a good.

> if someone feels like implementing something, unless there is a specific
> objection to the concept (which should be _very_ rare and requires
> much more explination than just a '-1 signature' vote) these ideas can be
> worked on by anyone who feels like doing so, having lots of + votes won't
> necessarily mean that it gets done any sooner than something with no
> votes.

Yes, its not meant to do that. Its just feedback for the author.

> this isn't one companies limited development resources that we are talking
> about having to allocate to the highest priority project here, these
> proposals are all from people who are interested in doing the work, and as
> such there is no need to prioritize them. the more proposals you have from
> different sources, the more development resources you have to implement
> the proposals.

I think most people realise this, what the notes and votes are for is
providing feedback to the author.
Whether they listen is up to them, I dont think anyone expects it to
suddenly make code be written faster, nor will it guarantee that that
feature will make it into a Koha release. No one can guarantee that,
it has to be decided when the code is seen.
It's just a shorthand way of saying, I think this is a good idea, or I
think this is a bad idea.

Chris