[Koha] Learning SQL

Kurt Bodling kbodling at mountvernon.org
Wed Nov 10 06:13:47 NZDT 2010

Eva,

Back in September there was a similar question. I kept the answers and
here were the titles that 4 people here suggested:

1.     I found (and continue to find) this website very helpful for
writing basic SQL reports:

http://www.thundersoftware.com/churchdb/sqltutorial/sql_tutorial.html

I tried a few books, but nothing really stood out for me. The books
probably have info on some of the more complicated queries, but I was
able to create the majority of our necessary reports based on the info
from the Thunder Software site.

That, and posting an occasional question on this list. The LibLime folks
helped me compose a few of the tough ones-thank goodness!!

2.     I use the MYSQL in a Nutshell book which has been helpful to me
remembering the different sort and join commands.

3.      I'm definitely still learning, but in the beginning I
interlibrary loaned as many SQL books as possible and then purchased the
ones that had helped me (I was starting from scratch)

The titles I now have in my office are

*	Head First SQL
*	Beginning SQL queries
*	SQL fundamentals
*	SQL queries for mere mortals

They all give me different things. I also use google searches for
various SQL training materials.

And I attended KohaCon 2009 and heard at least one of the sessions
there.

I also use the SQL Reports Library (
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/SQL_Reports_Library
<http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/SQL_Reports_Library> ) and ask on
the mailing lists.
----

4.  There are some presentations from KohaCon last year on SlideShare

(http://www.slideshare.net/group/koha-ils) that cover reports.  Also, I
often refer to the database structure in git

(http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob_plain;f=installer/
data/mysql/kohastructure.sql;hb=HEAD)

when I need to find out what tables/fields are available for querying.

As for learning MySQL, I learned that hands on cause I suck at learning
from a book so I can't recommend any good reads - except the MySQL
manual which I refer to all the time when I'm trying to remember who to
query a specific date format or something like that.