[Koha] Cron Job Questions Koha 3 with Zebra on Ubuntu 7.10

Peter Huerter pete.huerter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:15:32 NZDT 2010

Make sure you run the Cron job under your koha user account!  Also make sure
you run an scripts (like rebuild_zebra.pl) as user koha!!

If you are using zebra indexing:  zebrasrv appears to run under user koha.
That means any lock files it needs to acquire will also need to be owned by
user koha.

If you happen to run rebuild_zebra.pl as root, or as some other user,
zebrasrv will get hung up on the lock file permissions.  This will be mostly
transparent to you except that the search function in koha will fail (gulp).

I made this mistake and found out about the problem by:

1.  Doing a
        ps -ef | grep zebra
     To find out where the error and log files for zebrasrv are stored (in
/var/log/koha for me)
2.  Looking in koha-zebradaemon-output.log for the error messages.
3.  Going to the zebra locks direcory (/var/lock/koha/zebradb for me) and
changing the ownership of the various files like this
         sudo chown -R koha *
4.  Verify that koha owns all lock files by doing an
         ls -lR

This fixed my problem.  I then made sure I added the cron job for
rebuild_zebra.pl in user koha's crontab:
       su koha
       crontab -e

As an aside (and as of today's date) I am added the rebuild_zebra cron job
because there is a reported problem with zebraqueue_daemon.  I have been
advised not to run zebraqueue_daemon due to a memory leak.  The work around
is to use the above mentioned cron job.

Hope this helps someone else,
Pete.