[Koha] Staff training with a live catalogue

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 02:03:06 NZDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Elaine Bradtke <eb at efdss.org> wrote:
> 1) Is there a way to hold back (from the OPAC) newly created MARC
> records until they are checked, or a way to flag newly created records
> to enable checking if they can't be held pending review?

You can suppress an item from OPAC display by setting the 942$n to 1
and turning on the OpacSuppression system preference.  Before you turn
on the preference, note that you should mark at least one bib as OPAC
suppressed first.

> 2) Or, should I consider:
> a) a second instance of Koha for training purposes, from which I could
> download records and then upload them into our live catalogue, or b) a
> branch that is not viewable in the OPAC (is that possible?) from which
> I could transfer items to the live catalogue?

A second instance of Koha is not required, but I recommend one anyway
for most libraries.  Besides being a safe spot for training, a second
Koha database is a place where you can test upgrades, new
functionality, OPAC customizations, and the like before committing to
an upgrade or change in your production database.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton