[Koha] Proposal To Switch Koha's License to GPLv3 and AGPLv3 or AGPLv3

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed May 19 23:23:07 NZST 2010

Given that this discussion has been somewhat carried on through the
wiki (http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/General_Meeting,_June_2_2010),
I thought it would be good to keep it on list as well.

MJ posts the following argument to the above referenced agenda:

>  * AGPL does not prevent unfriendly vendor lock-in (still achievable through access control, particularly to the databases) while
> introducing onerous burdens on friendly hosters. http://lists.katipo.co.nz/pipermail/koha/2010-May/023816.html

This would probably be a good time to point out that 3.4 will have the
capability of doing a total db dump from within the staff client. This
should greatly mitigate the potential of an hostile vendor holding
data hostage. A vendor would have to deliberately remove or disable
this functionality to prevent a client from retrieving a full copy of
their database. (Of course any client who contracts with a vendor
*without* writing data protection assurances into their contract is
asking for trouble to start with.)

The matter of "onerous burdens on friendly hosters" has been addressed
in previous communications and so those arguments are not repeated
here.

Kind Regards,
Chris