[Koha] Koha (was Introduction - Sean McIntyre)

Sean McIntyre smcintyre at ptfs.com
Sat May 15 23:38:44 NZST 2010

Hi Chris N,

Thanks for the nice welcome.  Just curious, what high school did you
graduate from?  I graduated from Robinson in '85.

So if I understand your first paragraph, the confusion was created when
we made available a "flavor" for download, rather than just submitting
changes back to the community elected release manager.  Did I understand
that correctly?  If so, I can say that there is no intent to ever do
such a thing again for a variety of reasons, including the confusion it
has caused.

Glad to hear your point that the different "flavor" issue pre-dates the
acquisition, we certainly felt we had inherited a challenge in this area.

I like your point on simply merging everything back together and thus
eliminating these complexities.  This is not a small piece of work by
any means, but I am biased towards "simple".  Unfortunately, the LLEK
code base was not maintained in such a way as to make merging back with
the community maintained Official Koha easy; it in fact will be
challenging.  No one can say with certainty what the intent of the
LibLime owners were at the time LLEK was established, but if they were
intending to fork the code it would look very much like what we have
acquired.

As you point out, we have made available all of the software
enhancements and mods that pre-date the acquisition in a fashion that
the release managers can work with them.  This was not difficult for us
as we had always intended to do this and had thus maintained the
baseline in a fashion that made this easy to do.  As I've said, this is
not the case on LLEK due to decisions made by the previous owners.  So,
while we have the goal of a single baseline, we have customer
commitments in the near term that will delay this for some time.  If we
could, we'd consider doing it immediately, but the projects we have
inherited and their schedules are such that this seems unlikely.  At a
certain point we have to prioritize the paying clients above other work
and this appears to us to be one of those cases; there is just not
enough time and resources to do everything at once.

So, while we seem to be in agreement on the goal (which is great!);
achieving this in the next few weeks or months, while meeting our client
commitments is just not very likely.  It would be great for LibLime (me
in particular), to not have these multiple baseline issues, but that's
not the hand I've been dealt.  So, please accept my assurance that we
share the goal of a single baseline over time and are going to take
incremental steps towards that as we work on our client commitments, but
this will take a good deal of time to get where we all want to be.  The
lesson for all involved is that un-doing a fork is painful and expensive.

Best,
Sean McIntyre
Engineering Mgr, ILS
LibLime, a Division of PTFS