[Koha] Introduction - Sean McIntyre

Reed Wade reed at catalyst.net.nz
Sat May 15 09:45:39 NZST 2010

2010/5/15 Sean T. McIntyre <smcintyre at ptfs.com>:
> Hello Koha Community!

Welcome!

We look forward to seeing more of you. Will you be attending --
http://www.kohacon10.org.nz/
?

> Soon I'll be joining the IRC chat on a regular basis and welcome any and all
> comments or thoughts.  If you perceive my team or I are doing something that
> is not as beneficial to the community as it could be, please let me know.
> I'd be happy to talk about it and am optimistic that many of these
> perceptions are based on mis-understandings that are easily cleared up.

Since you asked, I guess I'll go ahead and start in.

Let me start by saying, as many others have, the Harley code
availability is really fabulous to see (really truly great stuff).

But, the communication around it on the front page of koha.org is
misleading to my eyes on two points:

 - it presents Harley as an official Koha release, which is clearly not correct
 - it re-brands the normal Koha releases as "Community Koha" which is
not correct

The first point seems likely to create confusion in those seeking
support from the community since people will be coming to us thinking
it is an official release.

The second point seems just a bit bold. Prefixing the term "Community"
in front of a product and giving it lower billing is normally done
when a commercial company is providing a hobbled open source version
of a useful product. It's certainly the impression I would get from
looking at koha.org if I didn't know better.

thanks,
-reed