[Koha] Registering as a support provider at koha-community.org

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue May 11 05:30:09 NZST 2010

On 11 May 2010 05:05, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Ian Walls wrote: [...]
>> The current proposal is for our Support Companies page to list *every
>> company claiming (with some level of verifiability) to offer Koha services*.
>>  Thus, the purpose of the page is to simply be a list of all the potential
>> possibilities for a Koha support company, with no quality judgement of any
>> kind placed on the companies.  Getting listed only requires the verification
>> of a simple fact.
>>
>> The difficulty comes with the possibility of a company offering Koha
>> services that are not in the spirit of the community. [...]
>
> This is much simpler than looking for services "in the spirit".  It is
> a verifiable fact whether a company owns a domain or trademark, it is
> a verifiable fact whether that has been offered to HLT or another
> community group to manage and it is a verifiable fact whether legal
> proceedings over Koha have been entered and not resolved.  No judge
> required and the informal appeals process suggested for other
> delistings would be fine.
>
> Please don't overreact to the LibLime approach by dismantling all
> quality control on the community website.  This is not the old
> 'you are cool' test.  It is a simpler, factual solidarity test.
> Couldn't we adopt this, please?

I vote no, while it is a verifiable fact, some of these are not easily
verifiable. Do we really want to have to search every legal database
each time we list a vendor?? Who is going to do that? I vote list
everyone, this doesn't preclude people from pointing out when people
are behaving badly, but I think the listing should have no judgement
implied at all.

If we can't do that, I vote for pulling the listing from the website,
and just using the wiki where people can have edit wars to their
hearts content.

> Thanks to wizzyrea for the link to the developer meeting.  I'm
> surprised that it was put to developers and not the community one, not
> that we made either of them this month (first time in a while). :-/

Just a clarification.

It was put to the General IRC meeting, not the community handover one,
they are both community meetings and neither of them are developer
only. And it was put to that because someone put it on the agenda for
it, the same way everything gets on onto the agendas.

> About 28 people were in the meeting.  About 7 voted for "boil the list
> down to one question: does the vendor offer Koha services of any
> kind", 0 abstained, 0 against.  Why such a low turnout?  Low support
> or fatigue?  Moreover, I think one voter had a conflict of interest
> because they have influence over a private koha domain.
>
> I also see that about 6 voted for link-back, 1 abstained, 1 against.
> Why do we seem to be adopting one-question but not link-back?

Chris