[Koha] Registering as a support provider at koha-community.org

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue May 11 02:42:44 NZST 2010

Hi,

On May 10, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Ian Walls wrote:
> If I may offer a third position for discussion:  what if the community were to define a discrete list of potential Koha services that a company can offer to be listed?  For example:
[snip]
> By making these services clear and descriptive (and still all verifiable), we can give interested parties the world over a more complete picture of what each company is offering, and allow them to make their own judgement on how well that company can support their needs.  Listing a company is still a matter of checking facts, just a more fine-grained set of them.

This would overcomplicate the listing process, in my opinion, and put the community back into the business of analyzing each request to verify detailed claims.  Such verification could in turn amount to an implied endorsement of each vendor listing, which I would argue is outside the scope of the vendor directory.  The current format of company name, contact information, and a brief statement of services offered is sufficient; if a vendor wants to provide a detailed breakdown of their services, they can do so on their own website.

This is not to say that it wouldn't be a useful exercise for a disinterested party to put together a matrix of specific services offered by each vendor, but that should be outside the scope of the vendor listing on the main website.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton