[Koha] Proposal To Switch Koha's License to GPLv3 and AGPLv3 or AGPLv3

Christopher Nighswonger chris.nighswonger at gmail.com
Mon May 10 09:18:25 NZST 2010

Greetings all,

Some time ago the topic of changing the version/flavor of GPL license
Koha is released under was discussed.

In light of the momentum the community has built up in the area of
change in recent months, now would be a good time to resume licensing
discussions and bring them to a final resolve. Delaying them only
means another round of disruptive changes at some point in the not too
distant future. It would be nice to go ahead and have all the laundry
cleaned and folded while we are about the task.

As I see it, the advantage and rational for moving to GPLv3 are
primarily that GPLv3 is compatible with AGPLv3. This allows us to
accept work licensed under either of these two licenses. AGPLv3
carries the added advantage of the *additional* requirement that
changes, etc. to the code be made available (at least) to those who
access the changed code. This gives us quite a measure of protection
more against Koha related code becoming locked up on a saas platform
somewhere in the nebulous "cloud."

Let's hash through this and come to a decision.

Kind Regards,
Chris