[Koha] MARC records

Ken Lomax ken at lomax.gen.nz
Tue May 4 09:33:22 NZST 2010

Hi All

I have recently installed Koha 3.0.5 on a standalone machine (Debian
Lenny) for a small personal library (about 800 holdings).

In the past (a couple of years ago) I tried to install the then current
version on Fedora, but had too many problems, both with the installation
and then using Koha itself.

Happy to report the latest install and the software is a big improvement.

Just two things though:

1) Like a recent thread I am finding the response of Koha to be very slow.
This was from initial setup. I have about 60 holdings loaded and it is the
same as initially with no holdings. I am the only user accessing the
system. The machine is a reasonable size PC and so I would have thought
there would not be too much problem, so I am surpirsed at the slowness
(generally about 5 seconds to respond to any request). Opac is the same as
Koha.

2) I am using z3950 for my cataloging whever I can and making
modifications as required for myself. As this is only a small personal
library, it is not critical. However I tend to like to do things
*properly* whenever possible. I am more of a computer person than a
librarian, so I am looking for a newbies guide to cataloging (and using
MARC). Any suggestions?

Regards
Ken