[Koha] LibLime Thoughts

vtl at scls.lib.wi.us vtl at scls.lib.wi.us
Sat May 1 08:52:28 NZST 2010

To be fair, staff at PTFS, who is now our Koha support vendor, have made
contributions to community Koha (both new development and bug fixes).  Let's
remember that it is LibLime Enterprise Koha that was forking from community
Koha, not PTFS.

PTFS now has responsibility for the 100+ Koha development projects sponsored
by SCLS.  It is our intent that 100% of these projects will be contributed
to community Koha.  Despite the unfortunately worded email yesterday, it is
my belief that PTFS has no problem with doing so and must do so as
stipulated in our contract.

Furthermore, we are working with the excellent migration staff at LibLime
(and now PTFS) to migrate our data.  It is a complex data migration and we
are quite happy with the work done so far.

We chose Koha because we placed a high value on being part of an open source
community.  We are still very much committed to the Koha open source
community and appreciate the work that has been done before us, the work
that is being done and the work yet to come.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Lori Ayre <loriayre at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I were a LL/PTFS customer and valued being in an open source
> community, I would be talking to different service providers about
> what it would take to migrate my data to the current community
> supported version.  Just sayin'.
>
> Lori Ayre
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Cab Vinton <bibliwho at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It would be good to hear from more LL/PTFS customers on the specific
> points
> >> addressed in this post.
> >
> > That would be us, among many others.
> >
> > I suspect that most PTFS libraries are simply trying to process what
> > this means for them. And unfortunately, I also suspect that many may
> > feel there is relatively little to be gained by responding in public.
> >
> > If they support PTFS's position, a public defense would put them in
> > the cross-hairs, a difficult position to be in considering they don't
> > know all the facts.
> >
> > If they don't support it, they will most likely seek to open a dialog
> > with PTFS directly, or to simply bide their time until such time as
> > they're in a position to migrate to another vendor. No point in
> > annoying someone who may be in a position to make your life very
> > difficult.
> >
> > Not saying which category we fall under :-)
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Cab Vinton, Director
> > Sanbornton Public Library
> > Sanbornton, NH

Vicki Teal Lovely

Helping our 52 member libraries provide the best possible service to the
public.

ILS Project Manager
South Central Library System
Madison, WI