[Koha] Journal articles and analytical records

camins at numismatics.org camins at numismatics.org
Tue Mar 30 03:07:45 NZDT 2010

Elaine,

If you index serials, using 774s will probably push at least some of your
records beyond the 99999-character limit set by MARC21. We haven't really
worried about parent->child links yet, but what I had in mind was adding
an "indexed" flag of some sort to the parent record, and then offering a
search on the OPAC. Like so:

Child record:
=773  \\$tCataloging & Classification Quarterly$x0163-9374$gVol. 38, no. 1
(2004)

Parent record (the 997$x is ANS local-use):
=022  \\$a0163-9374
=245  \\$aCataloging & Classification Quarterly
=997  \\$x1

In the OPAC:
If 997$x==1 Then: <a href="opac-search.pl?q=issn:022">Search for child
records</a>

This would require defining the issn: operator in Zebra to search 773$x.

We haven't implemented this yet, of course, but that's how I imagine it
working. It's not ideal, since we wouldn't really be able to limit the
search to a single issue (except in annual journals, of course, when we
could just limit by year), but it's better than nothing. All very
speculative, but one needs something to think about to stave off
hopelessness when adding 773$x and 773$z to tens of thousands of records.

Regards,
Jared Camins-Esakov