[Koha] Reserving items with a specific "need by" date in Koha

Laura Bucaro lbucaro at tcfp.state.tx.us
Sat Mar 27 11:11:58 NZDT 2010

Hello Koha group!
I'm a solo librarian at the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.  I'm
thinking of using Koha for a library cataloging/reserves/serials
solution.  The one thing that I think makes my library unique is that we
lend training materials and often these are borrowed by training
officers who have to preschedule their training. Thus, we need a system
that will allow the users to specify the date they will receive the
item. Right now we use a clunky Access DB which works with our website.
Users can look up an item online, then use an online form to send a
request with two dates (1st choice and 2nd choice).  The system then
sends me a reservation email, I go into the system, see if the item is
available for when they need it, reserve the item for the user if it's
available, then send them a new email with a reservation confirmation.
I won't go on about this process, but as you can tell it is very labor
intensive.  I was hoping to find an open source option to use once we
stop using Office altogether.

I can tell Koha would be good for setting up user profiles, cataloging,
serials acquisitions, etc.  My question today is, I see Koha has a
reservation module but can the user specify when they get the item?
Any help, or ideas, anyone out there can provide would be greatly
appreciated.  Thank you, in advance!

Laura Bucaro, Librarian
Ernest Emerson Fire Protection Resource Library
Texas Commission on Fire Protection
P. O. Box 2286
Austin, TX 78768-2286
 (512) 936-3833
laura.bucaro at tcfp.state.tx.us

This e-mail contains the thoughts and opinions of Laura Bucaro and does
not represent official Texas Commission on Fire Protection policy.