[Koha] Journal articles and analytical records

Jared Camins-Esakov camins at numismatics.org
Sat Mar 27 03:50:53 NZDT 2010

Good morning, list,

I replied off-list to Andrew yesterday, assuming that no one else was
crazy enough to create analytics, but it looks like I was wrong.

In our database of ~175,000 bibliographic records, we have ~120,000
analytic records, created over the last 50 years (our card catalog was
digitized in the 90s). Our old system did not link analytics, but we
very much want to provide linking in the new Koha catalog. I added
ISBNs, ISSNs, LCCNs, and local control numbers to ~91,000 of those
analytic records, but for everything except for the ISBN, that only
identifies the bibliographic record and not the actual item. We don't
currently do anything with the links, although it seems like it
shouldn't be too problematic to add them, at least on a bib record level
(50 years of catalogers have resulted in exceedingly inconsistent 773$g
formatting).

It's very good to know that we're not going it alone with regards to
analytic records in Koha. How are those of you with analytics displaying
host publication information in the OPAC?

Unfortunately, we probably don't have any money for sponsoring these
features, either.

Regards,
Jared