[Koha] Music notation or printed music - how to make it obvious

Elaine Bradtke bradtke.e at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 26 05:45:59 NZDT 2010

Aha, so it does use the leader info!  I was confused by legacy
information on an older version of Koha.
However. . . I would like to point out that in MARC 21, leader 6 c is
"notated music", and the display says "sound" (and the icon implies
sound). I think calling music notation "sound" is worse than leaving
the information out altogether.
Thanks for the pointer. Any chance sound can be corrected  to music,
with perhaps a different icon?
Elaine Bradtke

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Elaine,
>
> I found it: http://koha.org/documentation/manual/3.2/opac/xslt/item-type-display
>
> Nicole
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Elaine,
>>
>> If you turn on XSLT stylesheets in your OPAC you will actually see a
>> music symbol on the search results and I think on the bib record
>> detail page itself.  I'm off to try a test for you to get you an image
>> of what it will look like.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Nicole
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Elaine Bradtke
>> <bradtke.e at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> For some reason, in all the years that our little library has been in
>>> existence, no one has bothered to specify when a publication is
>>> primarily music notation.  I'm changing this as we migrate to Koha
>>> (nearly half our stuff is music notation), but before I take the
>>> plunge I need to think about how it will work, and what it will look
>>> like.
>>>
>>> It's my understanding that Koha stores Leader information, but does
>>> nothing with it, is this correct?
>>>
>>> I want something that will show up clearly, is easily spotted. Not
>>> buried somewhere in the physical description or down in a notes field.
>>>  I'm disinclined to use general material designations, but that could
>>> be one way.  The other thought was item type. Collections seem less
>>> intuitive somehow, and as we have lots of special collections which
>>> might contain individual publications of music notation, I'm not sure
>>> if that works.
>>> Anyone with experience in this?
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --