[Koha] z39.50 Service with different Encoding

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Sat Mar 20 00:04:52 NZDT 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

On Mar 19, 2010, at 4:05 AM, Koller Wolfgang wrote:
> Our current z39.50 server (using zebra) outputs data using UTF-8 encoding – which is exactly what we want.
> However we now have the requirement to setup a second z39.50 server, running on a different port, which should serve the data in ISO-8859-1 encoding. Is it possible to get zebra to do an on the fly conversion of the encoded data?

Yes.  You would need to add another Z39.50 service definition specifying the port for the second Z39.50 service, and copy the <server> section from the main "biblioserver" definition, updating id and listenref according.  Then to do the character conversion, in that <server> element's <retrievalinfo> element, change

<retrieval syntax="usmarc" name="F"/>

to something like

<retrieval syntax="usmarc" name="F">
  <backend>
     <marc inputformat="marc" outputformat="marc" inputcharset="utf-8" outputcharset="iso-8859-1">
  </barckend>
</retrieval>

Regards,

Galen