[Koha] Koha 3 Check-out process?

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Wed Mar 10 02:35:38 NZDT 2010

> Is there any connection between the user's cart or list and
> circulation?

Only in as much as the patron can place holds on the items in their
cart or lists.

> That is, should we see a user/patron's requested books
> when we go to their account and begin to check out items to him or her?

No, the cart and lists are for the patron's own use. The cart can be
thought of as a shopping cart in the sense that someone can collect a
number of items in it and then place holds for those items. Lists can
be used to organize collections of books for later reference: a
bibliography, for instance, or a list of books a patron wants to read
later.

If a patron wants to check out an item, they'll need to actually bring
it to the circulation desk (at least that's always the way I've seen
it done).

> Does that mean that there is no connection between what the user does
> and what the librarian sees?  No communication?

Koha is not like an e-commerce site. The patron's interactions with
items in the catalog do not have a direct bearing on what they check
out. Check-out happens in the real world, whether it be at a
circulation desk or via a self-checkout system. Even in the latter
case the patron is bringing physical items to be checked out.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries