[Koha] Original MARC cataloging with Koha

deavorj at comcast.net deavorj at comcast.net
Wed Jun 16 23:27:47 NZST 2010

We are just starting data entry this summer, and I am playing with Koha trying to learn how to use it.  For most books I am hoping to simply download the MARC records.  However, I am finding a few books that I think I will have to catalog myself.  It is with these that I am having problems.  As I went through the MARC tags in Koha I found some had blocks where I could enter data without any problems. However, there are two tags where I really need to enter data and I can't figure out how to do it.

Under tag 082  I want to enter the Dewey Decimal Number.  My problem is I don't see any box to enter this data.  I can click the + and add another tag or the - and take the extra tag away.  Yet, I can't enter the call number.   My other frustration is I want to assign it a subject heading under the 650 tag.   I run into the same problem.  There is no data entry box and just + and - signs for the tag.  I just want to enter a subject head.   Do you all have any suggestions for me?  I have noticed some of you mentioning Marc Reader.  Would  this program be helpful for me?

Thanks in advance,

Janet Deavor

St. John Catholic School

North Charleston, SC USA