[Koha] Proposal To Switch Koha's License to GPLv3 and AGPLv3 or AGPLv3

Lars Wirzenius lars at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jun 3 13:47:15 NZST 2010

I am not going to be responding to most points in the verbose e-mail by
Thomas, but I want to address one specific point.

On ke, 2010-06-02 at 19:20 +0000, Thomas Dukleth wrote:
> Perl module dependencies which are not part of the most basic Perl
> installation would necessarily be included as part of the Corresponding
> Source even following the analysis which Aaron presented for excluding
> MySQL.

The GPL3 and AGPL3 licenses say the following, in the definition of
Corresponding Source:

        However, it does not include the work's System Libraries, or
        general-purpose tools or generally available free programs which
        are used unmodified in performing those activities but which are
        not part of the work.

Perl modules distributed as part of Perl, or via CPAN, are generally
available free programs, and Koha uses them unmodified. There is no
reason to consider them part of Corresponding Source, I think.

The same goes for Apache and MySQL. If there is a license problem with
MySQL with regards to GPL3 or AGPL3 (I do not think there is), that
still does not require bundling MySQL in the Koha source tree.