[Koha] Switching to Koha unsupported

jos.kohado at gmail.com jos.kohado at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 02:02:48 NZST 2010

Hi Matthew

Apologies for that late reply, I've been away from the list for some time.

I'm in a similar position to you right now, except I am running a non-DOS
LMS, which I fear I will have to replace as it is giving no end of trouble.
I am currently in the early stages of investigating going-it-alone with
Koha for a college, and we now have an embryo Koha install with some test
data in it which appears to work fine. I haven't yet seen a need to buy in
support (famous last words?) as the community has so much information to
offer, and people are so willing to share help, but I *have* needed my
internal techie team, who've been really cooperative and helpful with the
server side of things, and the support of my line and senior managers -
going it alone may be free in terms of fees to external vendors, but it's a
big drain on your time and you will need the full buy-in of your seniors to
allow you the quality headroom to work things out.

I would be happy as another UK newbie to help with any questions you may
have, especially if you think they may be a bit basic for the list! I must
admit in the initial stages I spent quite a bit of time looking for answers
to questions I thought were silly ones, rather than bother people on the
open list, but since then I've noticed a lot of those questions have since
been asked by other newbies and answered with good grace by the old hands.

So come on in, the water's lovely, and there's loads of friendly people
with life rings :-)

Kindest regards
Jos