[Koha] Koha releases

Reed Wade reed at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Jul 4 01:00:26 NZST 2010

It's a bit anti-optimal (for everyone) to let your feature mods age
for 6-12 (or more) months. But it also depends on the next step. Is
PTFS/LL going to submit them to the current release manager as patches
against a recent Koha release or just make some random code available
someplace that implements those features in some old or private
version of Koha and call it done?

Unless it's delivered in a useful way then entities hiring PTFS/LL to
perform development work are funding features that are only ever going
to usable by current PTFS/LL customers. Even the funder loses the
ability to use those features unless they keep buying maintenance
services so they have access to the private code (I would expect).

Lot's of speculation--as always it would be sweet to hear from them.
Maybe after the americaland holiday.

For those new to software development, a question to ask anyone you
hire to add features to Koha would be "When could I expect this to be
in an official Koha public release?" Things like the Harley tar file
are nice (and way better than nothing) but are missing the work of
taking the code that next critical step and instead depend on the
chance that others will pick out those features of interest and
perform the additional work.

(PTFS/LL, please join this conversation so that we're not just
speculating on what your future actions might be.)

-reed