[Koha] Koha releases

vtl at scls.lib.wi.us vtl at scls.lib.wi.us
Sat Jul 3 04:21:19 NZST 2010

Thanks for the clarification Nicole.  I would further say that "Harley" is a
trunk <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_%28software%29> not a fork (as was
once explained to me by an Evergreen developer).  "Harley" is temporary,
while Koha is permanent. I don't think my vendor has implied that "Harley"
is better.  They have said that it has features that are not yet in Koha.

I would venture to say that we librarians are struggling with this new
terminology but we are trying our best to understand.

Vicki

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/7/2 Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com>:
>
> > contracts with customers.  Then, when customers insist on developing huge
> > blocks of code (multiple new features), they will know what that means
> --- a
> > much bigger cost to them because of the gargantuan effort involved in
> > getting their final product back into the community version.
>
> I agree with what everyone before me has said, the process is in
> place, it has been in place for years and has worked pretty darn well.
>  What I want us all to agree on here and now is that there is no
> "community version" - there is Koha.  Koha is the official release of
> the software and it is developed by a community of developers and
> users worldwide, but it's not the "community version" versus "those
> other versions" - it's Koha and "not yet Koha"  ("not yet" because the
> code hasn't been integrated into the official product yet).
>
> I think this is part of why users/librarians are so confused.  They
> are told there is a "community version" and then a "version from your
> vendor" implying that one is better than and one is less than.  The
> fact is that it's all software that serves a purpose and I won't
> debate which is better - I just don't really want to talk about the
> official version of the software - Koha - as the "community version"
> anymore.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Thanks
> Nicole C. Engard

Vicki Teal Lovely

Helping our 52 member libraries provide the best possible service to the
public.

ILS Project Manager
South Central Library System
Madison, WI