[Koha] Users and developers (was KUDOS - ALA Proposed Agenda)

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jan 25 12:26:53 NZDT 2010

Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com>
> Actually, the Evergreen community is in a trial period of using
> LaunchPad (http://launchpad.net/evergreen) for many of these purposes

Would you believe that I decided against replying earlier in the
thread that the last thing the world needs is another repeat of the
Launchpad problem which gives everyone Yet Another website to check
for bugs?

So I'm pretty disappointed to see Launchpad appear here.  It is more
of a black hole than a tool, in that it tries to track everyone and
draw them into using it.  Launchpad.net has claimed that I am a member
twice, even though I have never agreed to membership.  I get a bit
annoyed about such silly failures to respect people's basic rights.

Whatever is chosen, please can it be something which at least
gives people the freedom to choose whether or not to associate?
Voluntary membership is not only a cooperative principle, it's even
in the UDHR.

Of course, bugzilla has a related drawback in that most site
configurations don't allow you to contribute if you choose not
to associate.  That's better than Launchpad in that you do have a
choice, but a front-end could address that problem, as well as
being more user-friendly.

Going back more widely for a moment: yes, it would be great if a user
group allows users to discuss RFPs and so on, but that wouldn't
justify restricting developers in a USERS AND DEVELOPERS group.
I await to see how KUDOS develops with interest.

Hopa that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software