[Koha] Users and developers (was KUDOS - ALA Proposed Agenda)

Scott Kushner skushner at mtpl.org
Fri Jan 22 06:32:36 NZDT 2010

Owen, MJ. Et. Al.

Didn't mean to start a minor controversy amongst the list. Let me
clarify what I meant.

Where I see developers and users at odds (or, a "disconnect, if you
will), is in the Request for Code Development process.
Right now, we are all operating like little "islands" where each library
goes through a long "planning process" in which each library decides
what features that they absolutely need to see in Koha to operate daily
and meet their patron's needs. Now, much development currently needed,
which is not yet committed, is very redundant, and what I'm trying to
suggest is that we all don't spend (and waste) time trying to re-invent
the same wheel. Also, we can't really know what others are planning
right now for KOHA without communicating to them, before the RFC
process.

I see KUDOS as a place where libraries can meet and discuss the code
that they are "planning" to sponsor, before submitting to Bugzilla
(brrr..) ,or the Koha Wiki, so code development can be leveraged before
being submitted, thereby making the process more stream-lined and
efficient.

Am I saying that developer's should be excluded from this process?
Absolutely not.

Am I saying that a KOHA USERS group is an excellent vehicle for the
USERS to communicate and further leverage the planning process and
development thereby making KOHA better. Absolutely.

That is my take on the value of a "USERS" group in KOHA.

If I am wrong, then, have at me....

Scott Kushner
Information Technologies
Middletown Public Library