[Koha] Users and developers (was KUDOS - ALA Proposed Agenda)

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 07:32:06 NZDT 2010

Jim,

> The Koha community has struggled with the problem that it does not have, in
> the U.S. or worldwide a legal entity that can take action, seek funding,
> register trademarks, etc. for the good of the community. Well, in order to
> do that we need to move forward and get KUDOS recognized by the IRS as a
> nonprofit corporation.

This seems to me like we're mixing organizations.  KUDOS is a users
group for pooling funding and having a place for users in the US to
talk to each other - I assume.  The future Koha Foundation (whatever
it's name) will be the entity to hold and register the trademarks for
the worldwide community.

Other than that I think the problem is as I said earlier - everyone is
thinking too much like how they had to think with proprietary vendors
- if KUDOS is a way to pool resources and get grants for developments
to Koha - GREAT!! If KUDOS is a way to get users together - it's kind
of a waste of time because as Owen said - we already have that in so
very many ways.

I also think that the D in KUDOS was being ignored - and others have
covered that well enough - no need for me to repeat ;)

Nicole