[Koha] koha express

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Jan 21 05:17:32 NZDT 2010

Hi Beth,

Welcome to the Koha community!

2010/1/20 Beth Heller <bheller at americanalpineclub.org>

> Hi.  I am one of two librarians at the American Alpine Club in Golden,
> Colorado - all mountains, all the time.  We've got about 60,000 volumes,
> 20,000 that circulate, and a very small budget.  We do have some IT support
> and one amazing volunteer to help with the tech side of this project, but I
> am not a coder at all.  We are migrating from Spectrum Winnebago.
>
> I was planning to upload to Koha Express this week, but given the buyout
> was wondering if anyone had any information about whether this product will
> continue and/or any alternatives.  Inexpensive alternatives.

Yes there is a very inexpensive alternative: Host Koha on your own in-house
server. This is not hard at all and with your support and volunteer, you
should be up and running in no time. If you/they need help, feel free to
post questions here and/or join the IRC channel #koha at irc.katipo.co.nz

You can also take a look here:
http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=tree

You will see several files with the word 'INSTALL' in them. Simply click on
the filename and you can read upon the installation proceedure. The word
following the period in the name (INSTALL.foo) indicates the flavor (foo) of
Linux that proceedure is customized for. They are all very similar. Using
Ubuntu Server, you can setup a Koha server in a couple of hours.

> I would also love to hear from anyone with experience using Koha Express,
> and anyone who has migrated from Winnebago.

There are several on the list who have migrated from Winnebago to Koha,
iirc. Perhaps someone who has this experience will respond with help in this
regard.

Kind Regards,
Chris