[Koha] KUDOS - ALA—Boston Public Library at 3 PM on Saturday, January 16. Proposed Agenda

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jan 20 23:33:22 NZDT 2010

"Scott Kushner" <skushner at mtpl.org> wrote:
> Yes, indeed...
>
> Sometimes "users" and "developers" are at opposite poles...

In the old proprietary software barons marketplace, perhaps.
We should do better.  Another world is possible!

> I think this is more about giving the "users" more of a voice than
> they've traditionally had in the past, no?

Koha was initiated by users, all the work is paid for by users,
the users are in control.

So I feel that the silence of some users is of their own choosing (and
that frustrates some of us) - I rejoice that there are some outspoken
users in the Koha community.  I think it's particularly brilliant
that some more users/purchasers seem to be developing into developers,
both personally and organisationally.

> But, I don't think this is to the exclusion of the developers...imo.

As written, it was clearly excluding developers from decision-making.
I really hope that users and developers can work in partnership.

But I'm told KUDOS didn't unfold quite like that, so I wait to
see what the people who were there report.

Best wishes,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software