[Koha] Barcode nightmare

Mason James mason.loves.sushi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 23:24:23 NZDT 2010

On 2009/11/17, at 5:10 PM, Seth Mayo wrote:

> We are gradually getting everything together to move to Koha from
> Alice.  Many of you will remember that back in July I was trying out
> various library systems and decided that Koha was a great system to
> get on board with.
>
> At this time of the year, the nitty-gritty of the system is going to
> start getting looked at.  I have a few questions to ask regarding the
> system but the most important one is:

hi Seth.

> Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?

to me, thats the wrong way to approach your problem
try to correct your barcodes *before* the import into Koha, and save
yourself some future pain.

a small perl script to loop thru your bib file(s) and perform the
barcode correction will do the trick just fine

preferably get your bibs from Alice as a big MARC file, then you can
use perl's MARC::Record module to do the heavy lifting.

after the correction, import your bibs from the Koha->Tools->Import
gui, as usual ;)

http://search.cpan.org/~mikery/MARC-Record-2.0.0/lib/MARC/Record.pm

Mason.