[Koha] Amazon Reviews not displaying

m.mason at ytu.edu.au m.mason at ytu.edu.au
Sat Feb 13 13:46:05 NZDT 2010

Amazon now requires the SECRET /Private key for all except covers.
But there does not seem to be a Koha System preference for this until
version 3.2.

 From Koha 3.2 manual:

Why do I need a AWSPrivateKey for Amazon Content?

This FAQ applies to: 3.2
Why do I need the AWSPrivateKey as well as the AWSAccessKeyID to use
Amazon Content?

After 2009-08-15, Amazon Web Services will expect that all requests
to the Product Advertising API, which is what Koha uses for
retrieving reviews and other enhanced content from Amazon, include
signatures.  This patch and subsequenct patches implement this functionality.

What this means in practice (assuming the user has elected to use any
enhanced content from Amazon) is that
    * The user must get a Amazon Secret Access Key.  This can be done
by logging in to the user's AWS account at (e.g.)
<http://aws.amazon.com/>http://aws.amazon.com/, going to the 'Access
Identifiers' page, and from there retrieving and/or creating a new
Secret Access Key.
    * The contents of the Secret Access Key should then be entered
into the new AWSPrivateKey system preference.

Once that is done, grabbing reviews and table of contents from Amazon
should work as normal.  If the user doesn't do this before
2009-08-15, reviews and TOCs will no longer be supplied from Amazon,
although there should be no crashes - the content will simply not show up.

Note that the requirement to sign requests does *NOT* appear to apply
to simply displaying book covers from Amazon.

At Saturday 13/02/2010, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Do you have appropriate values for both AWSAccessKeyID and
>AWSPrivateKey? I think covers without reviews is symptomatic of a
>missing AWSPrivateKey.
>
>Regards,
>Magnus Enger
>libriotech.no
>
>2010/2/12 Chris Morrison <cmm1005 at gmail.com>:
> > Our recent upgrade to 3.0.05 went smoothly (thanks for helping us with the
> > label problem we had), and pretty much everything works now except the
> > Amazon reviews. We get jacket covers both in the results page and detailed
> > views, but the reviews tab isn't displaying. Further, when we click the
> > image in the detailed view, we get a "page not found" error. For example,
> > see this record:
> >
> > http://koha.lru.edu/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=76740
> >
> > But the image tries to take you to this page:
> >

> http://www.amazon/gp/reader/0805447857/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-7879865-0184864#reader-link
> >
> > Which obviously doesn't work. Actually, it looks like it would need to go
> > to:
> >

> http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Cockroaches-Scattered-Musings-Leadership/dp/0805447857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1265986313&sr=8-1#reader_0805447857
> >
> > Associate tags and AWS key are both filled in and it looks like all
> > appropriate switches are turned on (AmazonContent, AmazonSimilarItems,
> > OPACAmazonContent, OPACSimilarItmes). I searched the lists and didn't see
> > this answered yet--just one person who couldn't get the covers to display
> > and needed a patch (for 3.0.04).
> >
> > Thoughts?

Michael Mason
Librarian & Director of I.T.