[Koha] KUDOS Board meeting minutes, Feb 4, 2010

Walls, Ian Ian.Walls at med.nyu.edu
Wed Feb 10 03:38:27 NZDT 2010

MJ,

For our purposes, "institution" includes not only libraries and consortia, but also support companies, co-ops and other such entities.  What it doesn't cover is individuals' installations.  To allow interested parties not otherwise affiliated with an institution, we're putting a sponsorship system in place, so anyone can join on their own, provided they can find another member to sponsor them (which promotes community participation).  All members get voting rights (provided that voting on the matter does not constitute a conflict of interest as laid out in the Conflict of Interest Policy).

So, to be clear:  Anyone (library, consortium, support company or individual developer/user) can join KUDOS if they are located in North America, and have an installation of Koha (or in the case of individuals, are sponsored by another member).  The ALAMW10 'D' bug is squashed.

Good catch on the vendor definition issue.  We'll be sure that "vendor" is clearly defined, so as to avoid ambiguity and confusion.

Our initial choices for webinar hosting are based off what the officers' institutions can provide right now.  A free and open solution would of course be the best, and I'll take a look at Lernid and others.  We're focusing right now on the board strokes of when the virtual conference could happen, and what it should cover, more than the specific technologies to use, but we'll have to deal with that eventually, and having options that are compatible with the spirit of FLOSS is definitely desirable.  More on that as it develops.

I hope this clears things up.  Thanks for your input and assistance!

-Ian Walls
VP of KUDOS