[Koha] barcode label questions

Lenora Oftedahl OFTL at critfc.org
Tue Feb 9 06:19:31 NZDT 2010

We use labels from Vernon Library Supplies, just 6 digits and the machine
readable lines.  Although we're also cheating a bit and using the UPC
barcodes on serials as the barcode for Koha.  As long as the number is
unique, the computer doesn't seem to care.

We have a coding system for patrons and don't use barcodes for people.
Might go that way in the future as the head honchos are considering
employee ID's.

Yes, Koha does assign a library number, at least in my opinion. Biblio or
Biblio number is the field.

Lenora

2010/2/5 Laurie Henry <LHenry at swcollege.net>:
> I’ve decided to order barcode labels for our items rather than print
them
> out ourselves.  The Brodart form asks some questions I’m not sure how
> answer.
>

> Should we use a specific code (such as 2 or 3 or P or T) to identify a
> Patron or Item bar code?

Only if you want to. (But then, you can probably determine the
difference visually... ;-)

> Does our circulation software use an “Assigned Library Number”
unique to our
> library?

Maybe this would equate to the holding branch of the item? Perhaps
someone else can comment on what an "Assigned Library Number" is, but
this will not affect Koha's ability to use the barcode.

> Is a “Check Digit” required for our circulation software?  If yes,
what
> modulus are check digit (if known)?

No. I believe Code39 with no check digit is quite common.

HTH.

Kind regards,
Chris